Letting your child learn to grow up

(Jack Moreh/FreeRangeStock.com)


Last week, I found myself wondering if some of my actions might be holding back my daughter’s development.

It started when she got in the car after school. She told me a few things about her day, then added, “Oh, Joe asked me why I act like a baby.”

“Were you baby talking?” I speculated. My daughter, age 7, has a habit of baby talking that my husband and I have been at a loss to stop.

She said she wasn’t, so that leaves a few possibilities.
  1. She seems immature compared to her classmates.
  2. She lied about baby talking or acted like a baby another way.
  3. Joe was in an ornery mood.
  4. Joe is a little jerk.
Now, I don’t know Joe from Adam, but because he is around the same age as my daughter, I’m going to rule out No. 4. Age 7 is too young to be a jerk. (Isn’t it?)

Possibility No. 1 concerns me most. Any of the others will pass with time.

But if she is immature compared to others, am I to blame? Do I baby her too much?

This isn’t the first time I’ve wondered about it. I catch glimpses of her immaturity every now and then when I see her around her peers. They didn’t get discouraged if they couldn’t master the monkey bars right away. They didn’t cry every time they were tagged out in T-ball. They didn’t stand back and wait on adults to help them with some everyday tasks. The list goes on and on.

And each time I see it, I try to focus on encouraging my daughter to do more for herself. But maybe I don't do it often enough.

I have a habit of doing most necessary tasks myself because it’s easier, but I’m working on assigning more tasks. Hopefully doing so will help her to catch up with her classmates.

Comments

Popular Posts