A friend who's a boy

© Tomliu7521 | Dreamstime Stock Photos & Stock Free Images


For the first time ever, I saw my daughter blush over a boy. She’s 6.

I’m not ready for that.

She and the boy, Mack, became friends in kindergarten when they were in the same classroom. But in first grade, they had different teachers. They played together some at the beginning of the school year, but by the second semester, she had her own set of friends and he had his. I thought they had, essentially, moved on.

Then Saturday came. We had taken my husband out for an early Father’s Day meal. We chose a table, and after sitting there for about 20 minutes or so, I notice the boy at the next table looked familiar. I glanced at the rest of the people seated at the table until I found Mack’s mom seated across from him.

I turned to my daughter and said, “Is that Mack?”

She blushed, grinned ear to ear and nodded.

“When did you know it was him?” I said.

Apparently, she had been sitting on that information since we picked a table.

About that time, his family got up to leave. I heard Mack’s dad say, “Are you going to tell her hi?”

“Hi,” Mack said, looking very uncomfortable.

“Are you having a good summer?” his mother asked my daughter.

“Uh-huh,” my girl said as she took a sip of Sprite.

“Tell her bye,” the dad said to Mack.

“Bye,” he said, and then they left.

The smile on my daughter’s face, however, lasted for another five minutes.

I am soooo not ready for my girl to be crushing on a boy.

Comments

Popular Posts