Handmade-ish Gifts

When I was a kid, the elementary school I went to had each student in my grade draw/color within a circle. I don't know how, because this was around 1977 or 1978, but our designs were transferred onto melamine dinner plates, which we gave to our parents as gifts. For years, my mom used that plate as a cake platter whenever we had holiday gatherings.

On another occasion, we drew/colored on sheets of paper that were later used as an insert in a flower pot. Both of these memories came to mind as I was trying to decide what my daughter could give to her grandparents this year. These days, turning a child's artwork into a mug or dinner plate is much simpler to do via sites such as Snapfish, Shutterfly or even Walmart and Walgreens. But my husband and I decided we'd do something along those lines when our daughter gets a little older and her artistic skills are a little more developed.

We found the flower pot shown at this link, though, which is similar to the one my class had done on Amazon.com. My daughter still doesn't color within the lines much, but my husband and I both thought the grandparents might enjoy getting something to which our daughter could give input. The pots come with preprinted sheets that the child can color and with sheets that are completely blank, for children to draw their own pictures on. We opted for letting her color the preprinted sheets, and she's had a blast doing it.

I can't wait to see how they go over!


Like this blog? Click the banner below to vote for my blog, or to see more Top Mommy Blogs.

 Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory



Comments

Popular Posts