Adventures in volleyball

volleyball learning to play


With spring volleyball getting closer, I asked my daughter whether she'd rather play T-ball like she did last year or did she want to give volleyball a try.

I expected her to say she wanted to do both, so I had it all planned out. I'd tell her that since she is still in dance class until May, she needed to choose, because three after-school activities might be too much. If she still didn't choose, she'd just play T-ball.

But without hesitation, she very enthusiastically answered, "Volleyball!"

So just like that, my daughter became a volleyball player. She went to practice and learned what a set, pass and serve are, though she's still very hit-and-miss on each skill.

Volleyball is not a sport I know very well. It wasn't offered at the high school I attended, so my daughter's first game was as much a learning experience for me as it was for her. I learned about rotating players, how points were scored, and that at my daughter's age level, it takes a while for the game to get going.

The first 10 or so points in the game were scored on the serve, as in, the person serving would hit the ball into the net, under the net or out of bounds, or would hit it perfectly to the other side, but the opposing team just watched it drop.

The first time the opposing team returned a serve, you could hear a collective, "Oh!" from those of us in the bleachers. It was a very fun experience.

And my daughter scored a point! Not too shabby for her first time.

I have to say, I'm glad she didn't choose T-ball.

Comments

Popular Posts