Spendy school supply shopping

This is just part of the school supplies my daughter
needed for first grade.

When I started first grade, the only supplies I remember having to take to school were a single box of crayons, a jar of paste, a writing tablet and a couple of those big fat pencils. My school provided everything else we needed.

Or at least, that's how I remember it. Perhaps my mom, who had the task of buying it all, remembers a more lengthy list, but I'm sure it is still just a drop in the bucket compared to what my daughter's school supply list looks like.

For first grade, her school requested six boxes of crayons, twelve glue sticks, one (12 oz. or larger) bottle of hand sanitizer, two boxes of tissue, one pair of headphones, one canister of Clorox wipes, watercolors, four packages of cap erasers ... and that's just what I can think of off-hand.

My mother-in-law bought some of the supplies for us, which I'm thankful for, but what I spent alone still topped $50. Now I understand why so many groups hold school-supply giveaways each fall. I had no idea it was this costly, and I have never been more glad that I don't have twins.


How much did you spend on school supplies? Let us know in the comments below.

Do you try to buy eco-friendly school supplies? Check out this blogpost.



Comments

Popular Posts