Those gems you forget you have

One day a couple of years ago, I went to swap out one photo of my daughter in one of the picture frames on my desk at work for another. To my pleasant surprise, I found another photo behind the one in the frame. It was of my daughter at about 9 months old grinning big as my husband held her up on his shoulders.

I didn't remember taking the photo, though I probably was the one who did, and I also didn't remember getting a print of it made and putting it in the frame.

I love surprises like that, when I have no memory of storing some little gem, and then stumble across it again a year or so later.

On Monday night, it happened again. I tapped on the Voice Memo app on my phone, a function I rarely use, and noticed one I'd labeled, "The Giraffe Song." In it, my daughter sings a song about one of her stuffed animals with lyrics like, "I have a super long tail. I have a super long neck."

One of my daughter's stuffed giraffes.
Her singing is faint, indicating that I wasn't right next to her. My husband and I talk toward the end of the recording, making references to traffic, and we sound at a normal volume. Though I don't remember making the recording, I can pinpoint when it was made based on what my husband and I say as well as the date listed on the app. It was last summer while we were on vacation, right as we got to our hotel.

Odds are, I shut off the phone, and amid the check-in procedures, forgot I had recorded it. And there it sat, gathering virtual dust until Monday night when I played it, quite possibly for the first time.

I love finding stuff like that.

I wonder what else is waiting to be discovered.


Do you ever stumble across fun memorabilia of your children? Let us know what you discovered in the comments section.


Comments

Popular Posts