I like to fall asleep with the TV on, and now my daughter does, too

child tv bedtime nighttime falling asleep
Does your child need "noise" to fall asleep?
(Photo by Adamophoto/FreeRangeStock.com)


A few weeks ago as I was tucking my daughter into bed, she asked me to turn on the TV.

There is no TV in her room; she was talking about the one around the corner in the living r
oom.

"I'm going to watch something in a minute," I said, "but you have to go to sleep."

She answered, "I know. It's just too quiet when it's not on."

I understand that. I've said the same thing myself. That's why when I go to bed, my husband or I will set the sleep timer on the TV.

My grandma, in her mid 80s and living with one of my aunts, told me recently that sometimes, she gets tired of listening to the TV, which my aunt has on all day. So, walks over to the neighbor's house and sits on his porch and visits with him for a while. Now that the weather has turned colder, she lamented, she won't be able to do that for a while.

I was struck by the differences in her life and mine. She grew up without a TV, got her first probably sometime in her early or mid 30s, and even then, anyone who had it on for 24 hours straight would've spent much of that time watching just "snow."

And so, while I don't think it's a big deal that my daughter finds going to sleep difficult without the TV on, I'd still like to change that, both for her and for myself. Shouldn't we be able to sleep just fine without the noise? Wouldn't we be less likely to sleep through danger such as a tornado siren going off if we were accustomed to silence?

What do you think? Do you and/or your children fall asleep in silence? Let us know in the comments section.

Comments

Popular Posts