By Any Other Name ...

I have a sister 12 years younger than I am, so I have vivid memories of her as a baby. My mom was still her primary caregiver, but my older sister and I both spent a lot of time baby sitting.

On occasion, I've called my daughter by my kid sister's name. Until a few weeks ago, this worried me a little bit, because I thought it was a sign of my age that would only get worse as the years go by. One day when I was visiting with my mom, I mentioned my name faux pas, and she just laughed. She did the same thing. Her sisters are 10 and 12 years younger than she is, and when my older sister and I were babies, Mom said, she accidentally called us by her sisters' names, too.

When I got home, I told my husband that story and how it made me feel better. Then he confessed he's called our daughter by his sister's name, too. His sister is 13 years younger than he is.

I guess this is common. Any one else do the same thing?

Comments

Popular Posts